Monday, February 14, 2011

Stephen Crane

I think it is very ironic that I also was planning on joining the military but changed my mind to start engineering school as did Stephen Crane.  I’m not much of a reader but I did enjoy Cranes poems and like his style of writing.  His poems are very deep thoughts and I had to read some of them over and over to start to try to understand them.  It is crazy to think back when the life expectancy in the late eighteen hundreds was much less than today.  He was a very talented person and writer to achieve all that he did in just the twenty eight years he lived.   Two of his poems talked about the horizon either overlooking the ocean or in a mountain setting.  I think those are the two best places to enjoy a sunrise or sunset. In the desert is by far the most intriguing one to try to read and understand.  Not really sure what to even think about it.  Since he came from a Christian background I’m sort of surprised that he didn’t write about God more.  I guess my favorite would be a man feared that he might find an assassin.  What I got from that is no matter who you are fear will always be there in some way.  People fear the unknown and the older I get the more I want to try to overcome many fears I have.  It is the shortest of the poems but it is well spoken in just three lines.  Having a fear is an incredible feeling to overcome or just to have inside you.  It’s crazy that some people have problems overcoming many different fears.  However some others like me live for the adrenaline rush that comes from conquering the fear that you might have.            

No comments:

Post a Comment