Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ambrose Bierse

Ambrose Bierce was born in Ohio but moved to Indiana when he was four.  With conflicts from his family when he was younger about religion I think that what eventually drove him to enlisting in the Union Army and fighting in the Civil War in eighteen sixty one.  It is incredibly remarkable that he was in some of the bloodiest battles in the Civil War and lived to tell about it.  I think his parents made him hate faith as a young boy so that’s why he wanted to write about death and be in the Army during the civil war which was a very deadly time.  He seems a little weird wanting to write and be around so much death his whole life, but I think everything happens for a reason.  Parents should not push anything on their children because they will in up turning out the total opposite of what the parents wanted them to.  The story An Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge almost seems real to me because I could imagine this taking place because of the enormous conflict between the union and the confederate Army’s.  The detailing and description of Fahrquhar’s dream when he is about to get hung is very elaborate.  This story is very interesting to me and every word I read just made me want to read more.  My favorite part of the story is when he falls in the water and seems to become superhuman while they are shooting at him.  I’m sure things like this took place every day during the civil war.  Even though this is fiction I believe that Fahrquhar could have imagined every bit of what he did between the noose being cut and falling through the bridge.  This is by far my favorite one out of the four stories for week four.      

No comments:

Post a Comment