Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Kate Chopin

I think it is awesome for Kate Chopin became famous because of her southern dialect stories even though she didn’t grow up in the Deep South. Southern dialect is a common thing living in the south today to me.  Since she moved to Louisiana when she was nineteen I can see where she came to love the southern accent.  I think her unique experience living in Louisiana before her husband died is what persuaded her to start writing after moving back to where she grew up in St Louis.  The story The Awakening is weird to say the least.  I guess in the 1800’s parents picked who their daughter married so that’s why Edna had feelings for someone else other than her husband.  Also it might have been the age gap that she and Leonce had.  Edna came to have feeling for Robert and when he left for Mexico she was devastated.  I think it is weird that she tried to go on without him, but when he returns she never forgot him and only wanted to be with him.  When she figures out that he has love for her but left again she, I guess she has nothing to live for and decides to let the ocean take her worries away.     

No comments:

Post a Comment