Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Emily Dickinson

I think Emily Dickinson is one of the first people that come to mine when I think of American poetry.  The intro on Emily was mostly about her family and her lifestyle.  She is a very interesting person to learn and read about because of her many differences than other poet writers in her time.   I think it’s odd that she spent most of her life in the town she grew up in which is Amherst, Massachusetts.  I think one reason that she spent most of her time alone was to concentrate on her writing and not have any detraction from her work.  I think it is unique how most of her work didn’t become published until after her death in 1886.  She only had 8 poems published while she was alive.  Only half of the poems she wrote were published at all.  It is very hard to try to comprehend the words in most of her poems to me.  She wrote on specific topics such as love or death.  She also spent a lot of time later on in her life in her garden at her family house and wrote about nature.  I like her style in writing poetry but I do think it’s a little weird.  In the poem 324, I think she is trying to kind of explain why she doesn’t like leaving her house.  She would rather stay home even on Sunday.   Poem “1732” is one of my favorite out of the reading we did.  I think this is one that was discovered after her death and she wrote it in her last days of life.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment